Sunday, December 2, 2012

Snapshot

When I read Bogost's chapter on Snapshots it made me really think about the idea of what a snapshot truly is. It means more than just taking a picture that gives you a "Kodak Moment", it means something that is meaningful to you even when it could mean absolutely nothing to someone else. It has sentimental value and although it could mean nothing to your friend John, it could mean a fond memory to you. The personalized levels of "Little Big Planet" tell stories from their creators and offer a inside peak into a specific part of their lives. I believe this kind of storytelling is remarkable and an extremely innovative idea that connects us as gamers on a level that otherwise, could not be established within the previous boundaries of gaming. This facilitation of personal connections throughout gaming has the potential to unite gamers from around the world on a personal level. It has the ability to show gamers the underlying unifying factors that us humans all have. This kind of connection can always appeal to people because everyone has these similar characteristics. These basic connections can be explored through expression from the players and can be interpreted from the other players who play these forms of expression. When Kyle talked about the boy who wrote about the death of his brother I realized that this is relatable to everyone. After all everyone has lost someone and that universal truth makes this story relatable, although we may never truly understand what it's like to lose someone like a brother, we can all relate to the loss of loved one. The snapshot chapter certainly got me thinking and I find it one of the most interesting things I have read in this class. I never realized how personal something in a video game could be until I read this chapter. I really enjoyed reading it and it has forever changed my perspective on "snapshots", specifically in gaming but in general as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment