Sunday, October 14, 2012

Storytelling Media

One of the biggest debates that are brought up in the passage of Game Design as Narrative Architecture was the difference that was between the Ludologists, that focus the shift onto the mechanics of game play in videogames, while Narratologists, who are more interested in studying games alongside other storytelling media. When it comes to the game "Passage", which I truly believe from playing it in class and at home, it forces the player to feel forms of emotions that he may have never experienced or thought of before. I would say that this form of game would be a good comparison with the Narratologist outlook because of the fact that this form of game is able to be compared to other forms of  actual books that teach about how time flies, that even though there is heartache through time, one should always remember to involve love and care, because we will all eventually leave this world, and the worst feeling is having regrets.  To be specific using the game as an example of this outlook, when Tim was playing the game of "Passage"he found it very annoying that the character of the girl was stuck to him throughout the game, and was asking how he would be able to not be attached to the girl if he wanted to play the game again. When he gets to the last part of the game were she dies, Tim feels sad and without realizing some remorse for not being nicer to the girl-women-old lady character.  When I saw the game for the first time, the first thing I thought of was comparing "Passage" to scriptures in the bible having to do with the relationship between a man and a woman. I'm not trying to push any form of religion into anyone, I just wanted to create this form of connection and show the kind of study that I would do if I was a Narratologist.  In Gn 2: 18-24 it says, "This one, at last, is bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh; this one shall be called 'woman, 'for out of 'her man' this one has been taken." That is why a man leaves his father and mother and clings to his wife, and the two of them become one flesh."  The important part is the last part that the two of them becoming of one flesh, because the game itself could be able to be used as a way of connecting spirituality and religion, into a specific game, being a vehicle of learning. The man is attached to the woman to the game, and one could say the woman attached to the man as well, which makes them into one.




No comments:

Post a Comment