After playing Unmanned,
I feel I have a better understanding of Roger Cailois classification of games. Cailois
classifies games in four different categories: agon, alea, mimicry and ilinx. He
argues that all four not only represent a game structure but they can also be
translated into the structure of society itself. I felt that in Unmanned we can
see all four structures to some extent. Agon, is described as competition
against another team or person, like when one plays soccer or chess, in
Unmanned you are not competing directly with anyone, but I feel the competition
is with oneself. In every scene of the game, we have two screens, in one we
answer questions as part of a conversation and in other we are interacting with
the avatar. In one part of the game the player is asked to follow a target that
could be the enemy, in one screen we follow the target and in the other we have
to interact with other characters, at one point I was so focus on answer the
questions and follow the dialogue that I lost the target and the mission was
dismissed.
Alea, is described as
chance, meaning that is an aleatory game. Unmanned have a lot to do with alea,
the player has a lot of options on how to answer questions that the game
prompts and depending on how the player answers either he receives a medal or
not. Mimicry or role play, I feel is there throughout the game, because the
player puts himself in the role of the character and answers the way he wants the
character to be portrayed, like when the avatar has the option on how to answer
to his son questions about the war. At
the beginning of the game the scene is very confusing the player doesn’t know what
is happening; this could be as we talked in class ilinx or vertigo.
No comments:
Post a Comment