Sunday, October 21, 2012

Unmanned

After playing the game Unmanned for the second time, it definitely was a different experience because I had an idea on what to expect, and what I had to different from the time before when playing the game, so I could receive the medal.  The first time I played the game I had no idea in the situation I was being put and it definitely made me uncomfortable because I didn't feel that I  was not able to use prior knowledge in any way to be successful in the game.  When involving the idea of alea, brought up by the author Roger Caillois, it makes me think whether I really would be able by my own merit or talent win the game.  There was not any form of adversary in anyway, actually if really thinking about the adversary was oneself. One had to face the decision of whether being nice towards the other characters in the game or just joke around to get a feeling for the game when first playing it.  It's a game that technically one can win, but I feel it really takes prior knowledge of this specific game to be successful. I would not use the agon, as a good point to be made from this game because it does take work, patience, experience, and some form of qualifications to be successful. I would say specifically to my experience with the game, I definitely needed patience to be able to be successful with some parts of the game, that at first I would just give up on. A perfect example was in class when I took the car off the road, I actually felt impatient that nothing really was happening, except for the conversation, so I decided to explore leaving the road, to see if any way it would be possible.  I would say the game brings up more ideas that are alea than agon, when it comes to my experience with the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment