Thursday, August 30, 2012

My Thoughts on Indie Game: The Movie

Indie Game: The Movie really opened up my mind to what creating and producing video games is all about for aspiring Gamers all over the country. At first my views on Video games were that there were some huge corporations like EA and Activision hiring some nerds straight out of MIT in order  to exploit this generations lust for guns and blood and sex through video games. First of all, I was dead wrong with this notion as Game Production is not just for "nerds", and second of all I did not give these gamers the respect they deserve. Indie Gamers that is. I have a newfound respect for the capabilities of these Gamers, as I did not realize the inordinate amounts of pressure they go through en route to displaying their finished products to the general public. They truly are working in a hit or miss environment, and if the one game they believe will hit jackpot across the faces of people fails miserably, then pretty much all is lost. There can be no mishaps, no deadlines misses, no miscommunications on the way to producing a successful game, and this can really get to a single man living off funds provided by his/her parents. This type of lifestyle just welcomes depression, and I really feel for those who want to make a living out of producing games. It is not easy! It is not fun! Much respect to Phil Fish, even though he might be a narcissistic asshole, and Tommy Refenes, even though he might be a depressed sociopath (that might be a little harsh). Producing games is not something many people have the talent and creativity to do, and of those who actually do Im not sure they have the same drive and motivation as these two fellows to work through the depression and constant disappointment. I am in awe of how hard these men worked, and to see them succeed is a breath of fresh air as it is nice to see hard work rewarded in a field where you could easily come up empty.

No comments:

Post a Comment