While watching Second Skin
and then reading Karolina’s post on Club Penguin, I was reminded of another
website that was popular for kids named Webkinz. On this website, one could navigate the
virtual world as an animal, communicate with other children, and play games
against them as well. Webkinz required
one to purchase an actual plush Webkinz animal from select toy stores in order
to access the game online for a full year (a “Lil’ Kinz” would usually be
priced at $13.00). As a camp counselor in 10th grade, I noticed that
many of my campers were obsessed with this online community. However, little
did they know that two years earlier I almost had been sucked into this same
virtual world.
In 8th
grade, my best friend Kaitlyn was obsessed with Webkinz. I don't really know how
she even found out about it because I am pretty sure she was past the age
range that Webkinz targeted. However, she would not stop raving about it
and forced me to buy my own Webkinz. I remember selecting the mini unicorn,
because, well… who wouldn’t want to
be a unicorn? After playing most of the
games and participating in many of the activities such as gem mining, I realized
that Webkinz was actually incredibly fun. Who cares if the game was not
targeted towards me; I was hooked. Even
my older sister, who was 20 at the time, would come home from college and be
like “Let me do your gem mining for the day!” I could not believe that my “cool”
older sister would want to play these games; I would laugh thinking about the way in which
her sorority sisters would react if they ever found out that she was obsessed
with playing these “babyish” games.
Meanwhile,
I wondered how Kaitlyn was faring since we would not talk about Webkinz at
school (We didn’t want the popular kids to hear about this and make fun of us
even more). One day, I went over to her
house, and I saw that a couple of new Webkinz were sitting on her dresser. I thought that was a bit weird since I
believed that owning one Webkinz was enough. However, when I opened her closet to find
a Wii game to play, a bunch of Webkinz fell out from behind a clothing
rack. I confronted her, and she got a
bit defensive. I guess at that moment I realized she was becoming obsessed
with Webkinz; I figured that when she made up excuses about being too busy
to hang out, she was probably just in her room playing on Webkinz. I told her
that we were going to be in high school next year and if anyone found out about
her obsession, our lives would be a living hell.
Of
course, my best friend did not talk to me for a while. After my one-year membership expired, I never
went back onto Webkinz. Recently, when I
was cleaning out my closet to move to another city, I found my old unicorn which reminded me of the weird year that was 8th grade. The experience reminded me of how in Second Skin , the players seemed to have
an unhealthy obsession with their favorite MMORPGs. I do not believe there is anything wrong with
playing games; however, when one becomes obsessed with these games, such as my
best friend or these players, I think someone needs to be there to help bring
them back down to earth.
Oh, Kaitlyn. :D
ReplyDelete