Friday, August 3, 2012

Second Skin and Gamer Stereotypes


I have to say, the movie we watched yesterday was uhhh.... not exactly what I was expecting. I think it was definitely entertaining, but I also think it was a gross misrepresentation. I don't think all "gamers" act like these people. I also don't think that the majority of women play MMOs to try and find boyfriends. That being said I think the movie was funny and enjoyable, just a little ridiculous. I can see why many gamers would give this movie horrible review, though. It's  extremely offensive to the gaming culture. These stereotypes are what alienate gamers from other people. Some people think that people who play video games are all a bunch of weird, immature freaks who can't function in the outside world. Most people envision them in their parents basements, extremely overweight, and unable to go out in the sun. On the other hand, there are many people who casually play video games, but are not accepted by these hard core gamers. These are people like myself. Where do we fit in? Our friends who play no video games may see us as gamers, but most of us shun the title "gamer". This is not just because of all the stigmas that come along with this tag, but also because there are plenty of hardcore gamers that will not only make fun of you but call you out as a poser. it's a very awkward and touchy position a lot of us are placed in, us "casual gamers". I think I'm going to have to side with Bogost on this one. We should definitely do away with the term gamer.   

No comments:

Post a Comment