Second Skin gave me a look at the lives of some hardcore, stereotypical gamers. They showed the extremes of gaming and it was very apparent that not everyone who plays MMORPGs is like this. However, I do think the movie gave some insight as to why many people frequently play these games. Although they are not physically interacting with friends, they do virtually interact with them and have just as much fun, if not more, than they would be if they were actually hanging out outside the game. I thought it was very interesting to see the different couples that met through Everquest 2 and World of Warcraft. Although I found it a bit unusual to meet spouses that way, I did think it was cute. I think this movie did a great way of showing that gamers don't just play to play, they play to socialize and interact with others.
As I thought more about the movie I realized if there was an MMORPG about Harry Potter, I might actually play it just to get the experience of being in Hogwarts as a student. This also led me to realize that people play to experience things that the actual world can't let them experience. Where else can you fight dragons besides games? I think our whole discussion this week made me change my perspective on MMORPG players. I used to think they were wasting their time by gaming rather than socializing (Yes very close minded), but now that I was educated on MMORPGs I realize that they are socializing and just doing it in a different way then I do.
I was also really touched when I saw the disabled people being able to feel the freedom they can't actual feel through the game. I think that's an excellent point and I'm glad they have that outlet to express themselves through.
No comments:
Post a Comment