...and welcome to our course blog for ENC 1131, section 2057. Throughout the course of our semester, you and your peers will be asked to help contribute to and develop this blog with posts, comments, images, games, videos, and anything else that extends our conversations or course readings. Ideally, this space will become an active hub for you to easily access and share anything and everything related to games, game theory, and game design. I hope that this blog will offer everyone a space for productive critique, conversation, and inquiry, so I ask that you pursue these goals in a respectful and courteous manner.
Please also be critical of the content that you link to. To avoid flaming, trolling, and doing things for the lulz, I will require that you include a brief description of what you're linking and why you're showing it to us. You may provide links to potentially offensive material, so long as you provide an explanation warning us of its offensiveness and an explanation as to why you're showing us. This gives us each the opportunity to decide whether we want to view it or not. Please keep in mind that posting offensive material (yes, I realize this is a fine line we will be discussing in class) may result in penalty and that posting some visuals might be considered a violation of the University’s harassment policies. Think before you post.
To get started, please introduce yourself in the comments below. Be sure to include your full name, year, major/minor, hobbies, interests, activities, and any experience you've had with digital media/videogames.
Hello! My name is Rodolfo Arce but I usually go by the name Rudy, I am a freshman majoring in Biology. I have grown up playing videogames and they have been my favorite activity during rainy days. I love classics like Starfox 64, Mario Kart 64, and Super Smash Bros. In addition, I've been a pretty big fan of games like Elder Scrolls, Minecraft, and COD: Zombies. Besides videogames I love to run and can be found jogging around campus or doing stairs at the stadium. Currently I have a part time job as a wedding videographer which takes me all over Florida filming weddings.
ReplyDeleteHi everyone! My name is Serafina Schwerer and I am a second year student studying Civil and Coastal Engineering. I hope to specialize in structures on the water like piers, ports, and bridges. I enjoy water sports, playing the piano, and baking! As far as video games goes, I am experienced in Wii games and Madden. Other games seem to be very challenging or uninteresting to me. Although, I am open to learning more about video games.
ReplyDeleteMy name is Corey McCall and I am a fourth-year statistics major from Jacksonville, FL. Apart from school, I spend most of my time either at work or just lounging around the house. I am also an avid Ultimate Frisbee player, but that is usually reserved for the weekends. As far as video games go, I grew up with an Atari and old Nintendo playing the likes of Pitfall, Super Mario Bros. and Techmo Superbowl. Over the years, however, I didn't play much besides Pokemon on the Gameboy. That changed when I came to college though. Now I own a PS3 and play mostly sports games like NCAA Football and FIFA, and have come to like other games such as the Assassin's Creed series and COD.
ReplyDeleteJose Lavergne, Sophomore, Pre-med track APK Major, I like playing soccer and going out with my friends, I'm interested as of now in doing well in my classes and keeping up with the new season of How I Met Your Mother. I will probably be getting involved with Competitive Rec Sports either with soccer or beach volleyball. My prior knowledge when it comes to video games is not very strong but I have been around friends who are very into video games. I have experienced super smash brothers and pokemon as a child. As of now I've only really played College Football Live because I'm actually pretty good and really enjoy it.
ReplyDeleteHi! My name is Dylan Schmer and I'm a second year Marketing major. I've never really been interested in video/computer games, but I am highly addicted to being on my phone and computer. I love hanging out with friends and family, cooking, shopping, and anything to do with the beach! I'm curious and anxious to see what I can take away from this class and use in the future.
ReplyDelete안녕 (Hi in Korean ^^) My name is Grace Choe and I'm a second year at the University of Florida. I was born and raised in Tampa, Florida and have 2 siblings. Up until this past summer I was on the Pre-Med track studying to be a OBGYN, but while taking Organic Chem 2 I decided it wasn't for me. Now I'm playing catch up to try to get into the nursing program this spring (: I don't have many hobbies. I mostly just study and work. In my free time enjoy catching up on sleep or watching movies from redbox. I'm not really into playing video games, so i fear that this class might be a struggle for me because writing is also my weakness. I hope to get know each and everyone of you this semester!!
ReplyDeleteHey! My name is Kendall Jones, I am a second year business major, and originally from West Palm Beach Florida. What I really enjoy to do is ride horses, I have been for about the past 15 years. I am currently a member of the UF Equestrian team here on campus also. Other then that I love just hanging out with friends, working, and enjoying college life! I have never been a huge gamer, except for the horse computer games I played as a child I have never played any other games. This course will definitely be interesting for me to see how well i can write and talk about something I do not know much of.
ReplyDeleteHey guys! My name is Brittany Simpson and I'm a first year Advertising major from Ocala, Florida (so not too far from here!) I enjoy reading, writing, exploring (learning maps and areas, especially), and now, cooking! I also enjoy the Spanish language and socializing with my groups of friends. This class will definitely be my most fun and interesting, and I can't wait to dive in. I've been an avid gamer since a kid, and have played everything from Animal Crossing to the Silent Hill games, from Fight Night to Obscure, the Socom games... a lot of different stuff from many genres! I'm super stoked to play with new stuff that changes my views about games and forces me to think about them in new ways. See you guys in class!
ReplyDeleteHi my name is Timmy Aughavin and I am in my Freshman year at Gainesville. I am originally from Long Island, New York. This has been a huge transition for me as I have went from the crazy streets of Manhattan and the LIE to a more slower and relaxed place. I am a huge sports fan, most notably of the NY Giants and the NY Yankees, two teams I would love to work for one day. I am currently on an exploratory track leaning towards either Sports Management or Business. My recent history with video games has consisted of the ever popular Call of Duty and Madden games, but for me it all started out with Super Smash Bros. Melee on the Gamecube. I still think to this day it is the greatest game ever invented.
ReplyDeleteHi everyone! My name is Natalie Molina and I am a freshman majoring in Communication Sciences and Disorders. I hope to one day become a Speech Pathologist and help children improve their speech and communication skills. I was born and raised in Miami, FL: a place where almost the majority of the population is Hispanic. My obsessions include musical theatre, singing, and acting. I love musicals, plays, Broadway, you name it! I also enjoy spending my time hanging out with friends and reading a good book. I started playing Pokemon on my Game Boy Color when I was 11 but since then I've only joined my 11-year old brother for a race on Mario Kart while my sister cheers us on on the sidelines. Despite my lack of avid video game playing over the past years, I hope to rekindle the excitement of holding a Wii remote; ready to explore the secrets of a brand, new game.
ReplyDeleteHello everyone, my name is Michael Tarr and I am a sophomore this year at UF. I am a Political Science major from Miami, Florida. I am very involved and interested in foreign affairs and the political sphere. I enjoy college life and socializing, tv, school activities, etc. My previous gaming experience is somewhat limited to iphone games and older game systems such as Nintendo 64. Also have enjoyed playing Madden and a few Nintendo Wii games.
ReplyDeleteHi everyone! My name is Camila Zenck and I am in my senior year studying Advertising. I am from Ecuador in South America. I enjoy reading and learning languages. My gaming experience is mostly limited to any Mario Bros. game and watching my older brother play games.
ReplyDeleteHello! I'm Laura Caicedo and I am a fourth-year public relations student. I hope to work in corporate PR after graduation. I like reading, baking, recently got into Yoga. I also like watching Doctor Who and The Big Bang Theory. As far as gaming experience, it is limited to Wii games and watching other people play.
ReplyDeleteHi I'm Fernando Jaramillo and I'm a third year ADV major from miami. Im a big Heat/Dolphins/Marlins fan & I like playing basketball. I grew up with video games & used to play super nintendo, gameboy, worms armageddon, roller coaster tycoon & stuff for n64 but now I only really stick to madden and 2K. Looking forward to learning and playing new games here.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHello, I'm Samantha Solum. I'm a senior public relations major and sustainability minor. I love music and hope to incorporate my pr degree with something involving the music industry. I love singing and music festivals. I'm interested in farming, gardening, cooking and FOOD. I miss living by the beach, but I try to take as many surfing/camping trips as possible. I work at Sarkara Sweets, a design-your-own cupcake shop downtown. I would never consider myself a "gamer", typically in my spare time I would rather read a book, watch a movie or go on a bike ride than play a video game. Although, I did play all the classic nintendo, computer, gameboy and playstation games as a kid. I'm fascinated by how far video games have come in the last decade and I enjoy trying them out. I've never been very good but I'm excited to play and learn in depth about this electronic, popular culture phenomenon.
ReplyDeleteHey, I'm Kevin Douglas, I'm a freshman majoring in Telecommunications with the hope of one day being an anchor/producer. I'm a huge fan of music of all kinds and i like to workout. I"ve played video games all my life starting with the SNES and the gameboy color. I loved playing nintendo games as a kid so I would consider myself a nintendo kid. I'm very interested in learning about games because I feel that I've seen the deeper value in games my whole life.
ReplyDeleteHello! My name is Gabrielle Keener and I am a first year criminology major here at the University of Florida. I enjoy lounging around and chilling with my friends. I was first introduced to video games by my cousin who showed me Super Smash Bros. for the 64 and Halo 2. I believe that the gaming world is still predominantly dominated by the male gender and would love to look deeper into why this reality exists.
ReplyDelete