I have to say I really enjoyed the movie yesterday. It's
really interesting to see all the new ways people can incorporate older
software into everyday use. Most people see an old gameboy and pretty much see
it as useless, but these people have taken these outdated systems and turned
them into a musical phenomenon. But as I was saying in class, the music
reminded me a lot of dubstep. I realize that the whole idea behind the 8-bit
music is that it is very raw, unpolished, and not overly produced and dubstep is
highly over produced, but the concept is still the same. The "DJs"
still do the same thing. They press a bunch of buttons and make really cool
sounds. I'm sure a lot of people cringe at my description of this, and I know
there's a little more thought put in then just pressing a button, but in their
simplest form, that's exactly what the musical producers are doing. But despite
all of this, I thought what the people in the movie were doing was extremely
cool, and a really good use of old gameboys! I still don't 100% understand how
it all works, all this technology stuff is way over my head. I thought it was
especially cool when that guy made the thing in the CD case, where it had
different knobs for the left and right headphones and you could press a button
to go to the next track. I really have no idea what the purpose of that
contraption was, but I was really impressed. Oh and here's the video of those
people doing Skrillex if anyone is interested! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuunY8BTqNs
Hey Jessica,
ReplyDeleteI like how you compared how both dubstep and chiptune are kind of similar, though I am "cringing" because I really do not like dubstep at all while I love chiptune music. (lol)
I'm not sure exactly how dubstep works, but I think I read somewhere that they just use their laptops and use beats and samples to make tracks? I don't know if it's totally similar to chiptune music because it involves hacking video game systems and a lot of the bands incorporate other instruments that they actually play into their songs, so I think a little bit more skill goes into 8-bit music :)