First I'd like to say how I enjoyed watching Reformat the Planet. It was a really interesting way of showing what people are doing with the videogame media and turning it into something else that is just as unique and productive. Each artist had their own way of manipulating their video game console in order to create their songs. Some of the audience members were a bit eccentric but that made it part of the fun. It was refreshing to see artists who play their music because they love it, not because they get paid. At the festival none of the artists were getting paid, yet most of them played because it was good exposure and because they just enjoyed playing. I actually liked some of the songs, but others were a little too video game sounding for my taste (not that there's anything wrong with video game music.)
Without even realizing it, I have a song on my ipod that incorporates 8-bit music. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH8Wg_3NOJQ) Warning it's a little offensive and profane, but it's a song by Ke$sha. Whenever I would hear it I was always reminded of the music from my gameboy color, but now that I know what type of music it is and that music can be made from game consoles I realize that that's what it probably was. This just shows how 8-bit music has made its way into "mainstream" music as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment