Saturday, July 28, 2012

Alternate Creative Outlets


When the class was first told about what Reformat the Planet would be about, I envisioned a bunch of people huddled around a Gameboy or a Nintendo Entertainment System playing around with the hardware so that they could make music. Fortunately, the movie was more entertaining than I expected, between the music and the stories of the chiptune musicians. The chiptune artists made the process seem fairly simple, so long as they had the necessary program for a certain console, such as the LSDJ cartridge for the Gameboy.
After watching the movie and listening to what everyone said about the movie, I agreed with the whole nostalgia aspect of the chiptune music scene. This made me think about how other people, who may not be into using music to take a trip down memory lane, still pay homage to their favorite video games.
The first thing that came to mind was cake. Cakes are a wonderful medium for creative expression because you can paint, draw, sculpt or carve it however you please. In addition to the cake itself holding much potential, the decorations can turn a plain white cake into a piece of art. As I looked up different cake creations, I came across some truly amazing ones. This site features some of them: http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/110267.
While looking up cakes, I also thought about how crafts could be another way people could keep a piece of their childhood close to them. Here are ten homemade things based on the Nintendo controller: http://geekcrafts.com/weekend-10-nintendo-controller-craft-roundup/. My personal favorites are the Nintendo DS Lite pouch and the pillowcase. 

No comments:

Post a Comment