I must admit that when I read Leonard's article on
race and gender, the sections on gender and sexism did not surprise me. However, I do think the statistics about the
women featured in video games should seem troubling, because if video games
teach us about our society as Leonard states, then our society possesses some
pretty outdated views on the role of modern women.
My discussion group in class did agree that you have
to take the hypersexualized portrayal of women in games with a grain of salt
because it is not true that all guys believe that women are there only to act
as eye candy. The girls in the group even
agreed that the hypersexualization did not even bother them that much. However, I do believe the hypersexualization
bothered me for one reason, and the reason is that it’s blatantly obvious that
most games are targeted towards boys.
Why would any female really want to play a video game full of scantily
clad women or even play a game where women were raped? The idea led me to
believe that the game developers that come up with these games must not believe
that women are very important, or that they would not enjoy video games at all.
This idea reminded me of a video I had seen a few
years back from one of my favorite series on CollegeHumor called “Bleep Bloop,”
(My sister also referenced this show in her post). In this certain episode, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uDglb5kCvs),
Jeff Rubin invites some of his female co-workers to try out games that were
marketed specifically toward girls. Just
by watching the video, you can tell that the game developers have a very
stereotypical outlook on girls; most of the games are just filled with fluff
and most seem pointless. Even in the
Barbie game you can see a reflection of a sexist viewpoint—most of Barbie’s
outfits are a little bit too showy for a game targeted toward very young
girls. At one point Sarah Schneider, one
of Jeff’s co-workers, states, “This game is insulting…” Elaine Carroll also states, “Just so everyone
knows, this game does NOT appeal to girls.”
Jeff’s closing remark that the designers “were just like, ‘we’ll make a
game for girls, and that’s enough,’” really speaks toward the fact that most
game companies in general must not care about appealing to girls and women at
all. All of the closing remarks in the
video point the same way, and I think most people could agree with the folks
over at CollegeHumor.
I know most people probably don’t see this as a huge
issue, but I do think these games are truly a reflection about gender
stereotypes in society. One day I hope I
will be proved wrong. (Sorry for rambling, if anything
please watch the video. I always thought the Bleep Bloop videos were funny AND
interesting.)
No comments:
Post a Comment