While reading Kurt Squire’s “From Content to Context,”
I couldn’t help but be reminded of a website I used to frequent when I was
younger that was called Neopets. Though
technically not a video game in the typical sense of the word, Neopets is an
online community where people can interact on message boards, raise virtual
pets, go on quests, play games, and do much more. I personally believe I learned a lot from
playing Neopets; however, I cannot fully agree with Squire and modern educators
on their opinion that most online multi-player games and their interactive aspects
can be used as educational aides in achieving literary academic success.
Steinkuehler and Chmiel are cited as stating that “mentoring,
writing FAQs, participating in message boards, developing fictional back-stories…”
are similar to practices valued in school and could be used as activities to
help learners in school. I must disagree
with this opinion. Though kids and teens
who are already literate and who already possess satisfactory use of language
may progress their writing skills through creating backstories and writing on
boards, kids with a poor grasp of grammar and mechanics will not progress their
skills. I have seen the message boards
first-hand, and it is not a pretty sight.
Most kids do not care about using proper grammar, spelling, or
mechanics. They spell words in the
stupidest ways, sometimes using alternating lowercase and uppercase letters
which are unappealing to the eyes. When
older kids try to correct the younger kids’ grammar, the younger kids always
respond in a snarky manner and say they do not care about spelling and the like. This indifference towards learning perhaps
shows us that children are not ready to use multiplayer games as a teaching
aide.
Though I do see the educational purposes of
these games, I think the games should not be implemented as a learning tool
until children mature to a point that they are able to take things more
seriously. However, I honestly don’t believe
online multi-player games should really be used at all. Most kids find those games fun, and mixing a
past-time with schoolwork can have a negative effect. Instead of the desired effect (that the games
make learning fun), children may end up thinking that mixing their schoolwork
with their favorite game makes the game seem boring!
No comments:
Post a Comment