Thursday, September 13, 2012
A New Perspective on Video Games
Bogost’s long and intricate article, “The Rhetoric
of Video Games”, creates a sort of standard in which we can rhetorically
analyze video games. At first, I did not think that analyzing a game would be
so difficult. After reading
Bogost’s description of the argument Animal
Crossing makes in terms of the “vicious cycle” of wanting more and more
goods, I realized that my preconceptions about analyzing video games were
entirely wrong. Different from other forms of media, video games involve active
participation in order to be analyzed properly. When analyzing Animal Crossing during class, I was
amazed how so many different elements of the game can give different messages. I would have never thought that Animal Crossing could make such a subtle yet important statement
about societal views regarding gender. Not only do video games make arguments
about sociocultural values, but also these arguments can be expressed in many
different obvious and subtle ways through verbal, procedural, and visual
elements. Compared to a film or novel, video games have more depth and ways of
making a statement or argument. Every aspect of the game can possibly create an
argument about society and/or culture. Video games have always been a form of
entertainment to me but after reading Bogost’s article, I don’t think I will
ever be able to play a video game the same way ever again! I will always be
analyzing every aspect of the game; searching for a discreet argument that the
game may be making.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment