I don't know if anyone else has read this but I found an interview of Billy Mitchell with The A.V Club and after reading it my opinions about him have changed a bit. Now I feel cheated by "King of Kong," because after I read through his interview and the explanations he gave for some of the things we see him do (like wear patriotic ties and walk past Steve and say he didn't want to "spend too much time on some people") I don't feel like the movie showed the whole story behind these gamers. But I'm still not sure how much of Mitchell's side of story can be true. Maybe he is trying to make himself look better?
The interview also touches on the fact he has been in competitions with Weibe before and he wasn't interested in playing because he had not 'trained' in a while (2004) and the documentary came out in 2007. So clearly Weibe had an advantage on him which I guess is undertandable on why he didn't want to play. He also didn't even own Donkey Kong that year (2007) which goes back to what someone brought up in class of why we didn't see him playing Donkey Kong in the documentary.
I think that the main issue with the film is not so much the gamers behavior but how the editing of this film seemed to be in favor of one character more than the other.
No comments:
Post a Comment