I
have to be honest, I have never played or even heard of Animal Crossing prior to
the in-class introduction to and discussion of the game. I was confused on what
to write for my rhetorical analysis assignment and wasn’t even that clear on
what rhetoric even meant. Using Animal Crossing, I realized that rhetoric had
nothing to do with a gamer’s critique but was about the ideas the game is
trying to get across. Animal Crossing at first glance is a cutesy game filled
with animal characters that focuses on players performing mundane tasks such as
collecting apples, fishing, and furnishing their homes. Looking deeper into the
game, we see that the game is actually making a statement on corporate America
and showing how business “owns” you and how debt work using a raccoon named Tom
Nook and the visual rhetoric of his shack growing into a superstore using the
money he collects from your character. The game also makes a statement on
gender in it’s beginning sequence using verbal rhetoric. A game establishes if
you are a girl or a boy depending on how you answer a question using “cute” or “cool”.
This shows the cultural values we place in genders in our society stating that
we perceive guys to be strong and cool while we expect girls to be fragile and
cute. The game also turns this into visual rhetoric because, depending on your
response, your avatar is made into a male wearing a shirt with skulls on it or
a female wearing a plaid skirt.
No comments:
Post a Comment