Throughout the semester
we have been reading several articles that present us video games as something
more than just a game. With some video games that are aimed at learning or focus
on a subject matter like Citizen Science, which tries to teach the user about
the impact of pollution in our environment and tries to make us conscious of it
by given the player evidence and how to make an argument in order to save the
lake; I could see what Squire’s article was trying to say on how video games
are a learning tool. But for example I did not think that could be applied to a
game like Super Mario.
After Monday’s class I could see how in their
own particular way every game teaches us something by just the mechanics of it.
With super Mario we learn about cause-effect action, if we hit the square with
interrogation sign we get something in return and then we applied that knowledge
throughout the game. Ultimately I think videogames are a very useful
learning tool and in time more people are going to realize it, because like
Squire wrote on his article we learn by doing, whether is a game design with
the purpose of teaching something in particular or just pass the time with;
video games at the end help the player develop skills.
No comments:
Post a Comment