Thursday, September 6, 2012
King of Kong
I thought the parallels between the chapter "Everyone hates video games", and King of Kong were interesting. The fact that Newman sarcastically points out all the things that seemingly are true of Steve Weibe when he plays Donkey Kong was really cool. Although at first it appears that Steve has a zombie-like appearance when he plays, we later find out that everything he does is a calculated decision. Overall I enjoyed watching the movie but I did find that the stereotypes that are made about gamers were further exemplified in this documentary thus causing social problems. I found that this documentary has the possibility for causing more harm than good depending on the viewers. The fact that we were almost laughing at them seems like that wouldn't be helpful to the gaming community as far as legitimizing it as a competition. This movie certainly showed me a side of gaming that I would have otherwise been unaware of. Overall I found it entertaining and certainly thought provoking.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment