Saturday, September 15, 2012


Bogost’s article was pretty dense and confusing to me at first and I thought somewhat of a stretch. It seemed like he was going too far into something that appears to be just a simple game for younger kids about animals. When we played it in class and discussed every detail, it made more sense to me and I could see where Bogost was coming from. It will take some time and practice for me to be able to pick out logos, ethos and pathos in the verbal, visual and procedural planes in every video game I play. However, now I know how to look for them and what they are, so any video game I play will be entirely different then how I used to rate games based purely off of enjoyment. I was thinking that if the societal values and secret messages in games are too hidden for a person of normal intelligence to pick up on that maybe they are non existent and just a way of making video games seem more important and comparable to literature and film. Maybe they are, but who cares? When we apply these methods of analyzing video games then our imaginations and analyzation skills are growing which is useful in several aspects of life beyond games. There are some very obvious messages in Animal Crossing and September 12th, but I’m sure every video game ever made has at least one discrete message the creator is trying to portray and I’m looking forward to trying to find them throughout the semester. 

No comments:

Post a Comment